Earth Day…what a wonderful day! A day to celebrate the Earth and how to take care of her. Since we love to recycled, upcycle, reuse and repurpose, it is like Earth Day is our favorite holiday! Move over Christmas, Halloween, Valentines, Winter Solstice, Kwanzaa, and Thanksgiving. We LOVE Earth Day!
Here are some great suggestions from some of our readers on how to celebrate Earth Day:
- *Easy one: Plant something beatiful.Good for the earth and your spirit
- *Visit Red Butte Gardens! It is nature at it’s most beautiful and it is so peaceful and serene that you leave feeling at peace. I’d say the Nature Center but I figured that was a given.
- *Get a programmable thermostat. We did and the last two years our electric bills have dropped!
- *Not just for Earth Day….but recently I’ve loved going up into the mountains and “reconnecting” with them. Taking off my shoes and feeling the cold ground (as it can be now..hehe), truly feeling a connection between the Earth and myself, and just being grateful for it. Also trying to be more self sufficient in our intake….we have birds that give us eggs now and we use their ponds to water their yard and quite a bit of our backyard as well.
- *I like to go to the park with my kiddos, have a picnic, let them play on the playground, and go on an outdoor scavenger hunt! This site has a lot of optionshttp://www.scavengerhuntsforkids.com/naturehunts.html
I was also part of an Upcyclers Blog today where everyone had to give a tip. My tip was: One of the best ways to help the Earth is to Reuse items. So instead of throwing clothing away create a Clothing Swap. Then your friends, neighbors and coworkers can come and swap clothes for themselves and their kids. To find this awesome article with more tips and some great coupons to other upcyclers shops and a coupon to my shop too: http://love2upcycle.blogspot.com/2012/04/sustainable-sundays-24-hour-earth-day.html?showComment=1335104842094#c489320377707593981
This is a great article on how Earth Day even came to be http://earthday.envirolink.org/history.html. This is written by Sentator Gaylord Nelson who got Earth Day to even happen. Give him a HUGE hug of gratitude! He explains what steps he did to make it happen and how on April 22, 1970 was the first Earth Day and how it really took all of the grassroots local people to make it happen. It helps me to continue to believe that one committed person can make a difference. I found this article on this great site: http://www.envirolink.org/. You can find out about different Earth Day celebrations happening all over, find thousands of environmental resources, online new information and so much more. This is a great website to check out. They have such great information on how we came to celebrate the Earth. I love to think about how it started and what it is today.
No mater how you choose to celebrate our Earth today, I hope you have a wonderful day!
P.S. We also had a contest happening for a $10 gift certificate to our shop…want to know who the winner is?? Lets draw a name out of a hat……
My son is picking the name from a hat (my kids just love to do this!)….the winner is The WoodenBee! Congrats Bee!
- Today is Earth Day! Let’s all celebrate it! (yabbedoo.wordpress.com)
- Earth Day (humanisticpaganism.com)
- Earth Day Prompts Calls for ‘Green’ Acts (voanews.com)